Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Fix It Now: Readers Respond

Click immediately below for a voice from the younger voting demographic about social issues versus fiscal issues.

I agree with you 100% on your perspective on our country's financial situation and what needs to be done to deal with it.

On the social side of things I am a little more liberal. Now let me explain. In my personal life I am very conservative. I got married at 23, had kids right away, we sacrificed financially so I could stay home with the kids, etc. But politically I am liberal because I don't agree with legislating other people's personal decisions - it falls in line with the nanny state in my view.

I think my view mirrors that of other people my age, and I don't think the media is covering it accurately. I am 31 so I am just outside of the under 30 demographic which overwhelmingly voted for Obama. Here is what people don't understand about the younger generation, which I think is called the Millennial generation. By and large this younger generation is very conservative. Young people today have experimented less with drugs and drinking than even those of us who spent our teen years in the 1990s and they are more likely to want traditional lives. They are more risk adverse than my age group (I can't remember where I read all of this).

Anyway the point is that many pundits have said that our country is turning more "liberal" due to the overwhelming support of Obama from this group, but I do not believe this to be true. The majority live the conservative lifestyle, and have conservative views but do not believe in putting their views on anyone else. After 10 years of anti-bullying and alternative lifestyle awareness conservative social politics just seem out of touch and old school. But I do not think that means that the Millenials are liberal, they just have a "live and let live" philosophy.

It might be wise for Republican candidates from here on out to just not touch on social issues much. "We will leave that to the states to decide" is a good way to not talk about it, but as young people age and become a larger part of the electorate I think hard-line socially conservative views will become less and less popular, at least nation-wide.

No comments: