Monday, December 15, 2008

The Conversation Just Got a Lot Livelier in Heaven

The founding voice of Omaha talk radio falls silent at 68.

Steve Brown died over the weekend. The testimonials are flowing. I simply want to note that he was very friendly and helpful to me as I learned to put one foot in front of the other hosting radio shows.

"Talk of the Town with Steve Brown" -- that was the show that launched talk radio in Omaha.

As a state senator I had been a guest of Steve and other local hosts, but my foray into being on the other side of the microphone began by guest-hosting for Steve. I tried to impersonate Steve. Lasted about 30 seconds and ruptured my vocal chords. No one could replicate that voice.

It could get a bit rough, especially for liberals, on a Steve Brown show, but he also invited Tom White, a staunch liberal Democrat, for a weekly gig and was willing to let all viewpoints have a say. That included "candidate soup," an election eve tradition of allowing politicians of all stripes to hop on the air for a couple minutes to give their spiels.

I was on the periphery of Steve's life. I offer my condolences to those who were close to Steve. I hope the mourning gives way to celebration of great memories.

1 comment:

OmaSteak said...

My sincere condolences to Steve's beloved family and his numerous friends. He was a great local radio personality and just the same in-person as on the air. He was a great storyteller...and he had some amazing stories to tell! He will be missed.