Wednesday, December 03, 2008

City Council Feedback: You're Too Far Right

Interesting batch of comments to my post about running for the council.

There were several references to my positions in this blog be too candidly conservative for the general voting public.
That could be true. I think the reason I have had some success campaigning is that I'm much nicer in person than I am on paper or screen. :) In my campaign materials I try to accentuate the positive and even mix in some humor.
I think people who have served with me in the Nebraska Legislature and on the Douglas County Board would say I am one of the more pleasant and reasonable colleagues to work with.
One of my favorite constituent letters was from my first year in the legislature. A constituent wrote that he disagreed with me on abortion and other issues, but he respected that fact that I had solid reasons for positions on various issues and seemed to be working hard.
But is a problem to shoot from the hip in politics. That wisecrack incorporated into my logo for this blog -- Was I thinking out loud, again? -- was the unofficial slogan of my first campaign developed by exasperated volunteers who implored me to tone it down, at least on certain issues.
A smart politician wouldn't be blogging at all, right? And he certainly wouldn't be messing around with talk radio!

No comments: