Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Yikes! Did He Say MY Name?

A local political analyst on the radio this morning speculated about Jim Esch winning and mentioned me as part of the next wave of Republicans going for the House seat. I don't want my name connected with that kind of premature postmortem.

That makes it sound like I'm one of several vultures circling over Lee Terry.

Reality check: The vultures may be coming for my carcass next week. I'm in a tight race for re-election to the Douglas County Board.

Aside from that, any Republican who thinks it's good for Lee to lose because it provides an opening is a selfish fool. The local Democratic Party would be revived, and local and national Democrats would move Heaven and Earth to hold that seat. The best play for whoever wants to succeed Lee is to be patient.

Five years ago -- my children were small, life was relatively simple, and I knew I couldn't continue serving in the Nebraska Legislature because of the financial blow to the family budget -- I visited with Lee about his long-term plans. Now my children are older and life is much more complicated. I'm running for re-election to the county board because I have enjoyed it much more than I anticipated, and because it fits well with work and family life.

If I could write the script, Lee would hold the House seat for another 10 years while my wife and I raise our children. Then I could test my sanity by looking at a House race.

It's all moot because Lee's gonna win and I'm on my way to becoming a best-selling author and talk-radio host.

Wipe that smirk off your face.

1 comment:

Prince of Darkness said...

methinks he doth protest too much.