Thursday, October 30, 2008

Chip Maxwell: The Republican Who Fights Like a Democrat

As they say in the Ghostbusters movies, "I've been slimed!"

My opponent put out two hit pieces about my "crazy" ideas to raise taxes and make government bigger and more expensive. It's the first time in three campaigns that an opponent has taken cheap shots at me.

I guess Republicans are supposed to stoically absorb such blows and not retaliate.

Guess again.

There's a spoof country-western song (at least I think it's a spoof) about a family taking its firearms along on a patriotic vacation across America. The refrain is: "We don't look for trouble but by golly if we're in it, it's nice to know we're free to blow 900 rounds a minute."

I've never handled a firearm by I love that policy.

My opponent offers some targets of opportunity from his record, but I do not respond by going after him. I go after the caricatures of my positions.

It's kind of fun in that it forces me to sharpen my messages, but it's hard to respond in kind when I don't have time to produce and send a rebuttal mailer.
I tweaked my radio ads to address the assertions. I can't figure out how to get audio files in this blog, so I'm afraid all I can offer is the test of my messages.

TAXES:

I’m Douglas County Commissioner Chip Maxwell and I’m running for re-election to the county board. My opponent put out a hit piece on me showing a roller coaster and saying I want to take you for a ride and make you pay higher taxes.

I’d like to shift more of your tax burden to sales tax, but only if the property tax is abolished. My opponent forgot to mention that part.

Every year I served in the state legislature was a brutal budget crisis, and the pressure was intense to raise taxes. I said no, we should instead use the opportunity to overhaul state spending, especially the nonsensical way we fund K-12 education.

Since I joined the county board in 2005, the county’s property tax rate has gone down 8.6%. I’m a tenacious defender of the taxpayer. Any change I advocate will benefit the taxpayer. I’ve proven that in my 8 years in public office, and you can count on me to keep looking out for the taxpayer.

I’m Douglas County Commissioner Chip Maxwell and I would appreciate your vote. Paid for by Maxwell for County Board.

MERGER:

I’m Douglas County Commissioner Chip Maxwell and I’m running for re-election to the county board. My opponent put out a hit piece on me saying I’m for forced merger of Omaha and Douglas County to create bigger and more expensive government.

First of all, there’s no such thing as forced merger. A commission would be formed, there would be public hearings and opportunities for revision, and finally a vote of the people.

There are many ways to put together a merger package that makes sense for the taxpaying public. Other places around the country have done it, and so can we.

If my opponent wants to make an issue of merger, that’s fine with me. Government insiders and special interests hate merger. The taxpaying public loves merger. The one time the concept of merger was on the ballot, there was overwhelming support from every corner of Douglas County.

90% of Douglas County residents also live in Omaha. The public understands that we don’t need two houses of local government to manage local services.

I’m Douglas County Commissioner Chip Maxwell and I would appreciate your vote. Paid for by Maxwell for County Board.

1 comment:

OmaSteak said...

I wonder why your opponent loves high property taxes and bigger inefficient government?