Monday, July 28, 2008

Is That a Bat or a "W"?

A recent column in the Wall Street Journal said the new Batman movie is a favorable review of President Bush's conduct of the war on terror. Saints preserve us, Commissioner Gordon, something positive on that issue coming out of Hollywood?

I am a curmudgeon on movies. I don't go to many. I often don't like the ones I see.

I am more willing to take a chance on a robust battle between good and evil. And when my 19-year-old son invites me to see the movie at an I-MAX as his guest, I'm in.

I also was intrigued by the WSJ column contending that "The Dark Knight" is breaking records for attendance in part because it reflects positively on the war on terror.

I imagine many people still haven't seen the movie, so for now I'll just encourage you to see it. We'll talk about it on Check with Chip.

Click here for the column.

1 comment:

OmaSteak said...

Nothing more than wishful thinking and over-analysis but the WSJ columnist. If the people behind the new batman movie had any such obvious intentions, they never would have been able to raise the money to finance the film. Look back to the time in the US when batman first appeared in comic books and you'll find the "values" which are reflected even if darkly so. With the spectacular success of Lord of the Rings, and if there truly are some "powerful" conservatives in Hollywood, why haven't we seen Atlas Shrugged going into production and coming the the multiplex near you??? What are they afraid of if they did even an average job on such a movie??? If done as well as Lord of the Rings, Atlas Shrugged would spell the end of liberalism almost overnight.