Friday, May 16, 2008

Maybe I Want Clinton After All

I want the Clinton era to end. But I wonder if I and other Republican candidates for local and state offices would be better off with Hillary Clinton as the Democratic nominee for president.

Democrats turned out more than Republicans in the Nebraska primary even though the Democratic presidential decision was made in the February caucus.

We've seen how Barack Obama attracts voters -- some of them erstwhile Republicans. An Obama presidential candidacy could drive fired-up Democrats to the polls in November.

Response to a Hillary Clinton candidacy would be more subdued.

I am running for re-election to the Douglas County Board. I'm hard-pressed to think of any issues before the board during my term that have been partisan. But candidates for the board are identified by party on the ballot. I don't think voters are as conscious of party affiliation as political insiders are, but in a year when Democrats will be urged to get out and vote for Democrats (Obama/Kleeb/Esch), it's a factor.

But I think I still want Clinton out of the picture, even if it presents the risk of an Obama-driven Democratic turnout. You don't win in American politics unless you attract bipartisan support. I've enjoyed such support in previous campaigns. I'll just have to work extra hard for it this time.

1 comment:

OmaSteak said...

If you think your reelection depends upon lower Democrat voter turnout, you're in serious trouble. The Dem turnout machine will be running in high gear for the November 4th voting. IMHO, Republican candidates at all levels may be in for a very tough time since McCain is not going to be a big turnout motivator for the Republican base. This sentiment will be reinforced by national/local media as they continue to promote their fellow liberals.