Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Here's Why Immigration Debate Is So Hot

I recently came across a spoof memo to President Bush (dated April 1, 2006) from an American preparing to move to Mexico. It's attributed to David M. Bresnahan at www.NewsWithViews.com. I trimmed it a bit, but I think it conveys why people don't even want to grant in-state tuition to U.S. citizens born in this country if their parents are illegal immigrants.

Mr. President, please tell President Vicente Fox that I will expect:

a job without enforcement of labor or tax laws;

free medical care for my family;

English-speaking government bureaucrats for all services I might need;

government forms printed in English;

kids taught by English-speaking teachers;

schools with classes on American culture and history;

the American flag flying on top of the flag pole at the kids' school with the Mexican flag flying lower down;

free breakfast and lunch at school for my kids;

a local Mexican driver's license without my having to get insurance or learn local traffic laws;

police officers who leave me alone, but speak English if we have to interact;

no negative comments from locals when I fly the American flag on my house, put flag decals on my car, and have a gigantic celebration on July 4th;

no criticism for the strain I might place on the economy, schools, and social services.


I have said before that I place equal blame on the elitist America-hating types who encourage in illegal immigrants the entitlement attitude lampooned in the spoof memo. The populist majority has been pushed too far and now will not relent.

1 comment:

OmaSteak said...

The "Farm Bill" will passed both houses of Congress with a veto-proof majority, contained a provision granting amnesty to over 1 million illegals. Open warfare is going on in the border towns all along the southern border between drug cartels and Mexican police...spilling over the border and endangering an US citizen who travels into those Mexcian cities. IMHO, we're past the point of no-return on illegals, short of another major terrorist attack where it can be shown the terrorists entered via Mexico and, even then, LaRaza, etc. will be making the case "it wasn't us". If "the government" is truly serious, put troops all along the border and also make it a felony offense applicable to any and all corporate officers to knowingly/unknowingly hire an illegal. Then watch millions self-deport as the jobs vanish overnight.