Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Human Care Amendment

That's the proposal described by supporters as the "no more Terry Schiavo's" amendment to the state constitution. Apparently it's not going to be on the Nebraska ballot this fall. I was looking forward to this debate.



In fact, Bobby Schindler, brother of Terry Schiavo, was willing to be a guest on the Check with Chip radio show. I also had a commitment to be on the show from a local physician knowledgeable about the issue, someone who has had to deal with life-and-death decisions and has watched many colleagues do likewise.

The steam may have gone out of the topic, but I'm still curious about what people think. Critics said the amendment went too far, that it would have mandated that people remain trapped in hopeless suffering even when circumstances indicated that the patient and loved ones would have preferred death.

I'm torn. I'm not sure I embrace the amendment, or that such an issue should be handled by an amendment to constitution, but I might have voted for it to create the type of crisis that forces politicians to act. (Takes one to know one.)

As one person in the talk-radio game likes to say, "What say you?"

No comments: